Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Loopholes

"I write to you, children, because you know the Father. I write to you, fathers, because you know him who is from the beginning. I write to you, young men, because you are strong and the word of God remains in you, and you have conquered the evil one."
-1 John 2:14

I try to read the Bible as if each passage were written for me because, well, thanks to the Holy Spirit it is.  Nevertheless, it's nice when a passage seems very clearly written for me compared to a list of Jesus's ancestry, for example. Of course, only some of us are fathers and young men, but we are all children. So we all know the Father and cannot blame any of our sins on ignorance for his laws are written on our hearts. Some try to argue the letter of the law to find loopholes to serve their own purpose, like Wisconsin's middle-of-the-night law abolishing collective bargaining until it was struck down by the courts. With God's law written on our hearts, there are no loopholes because God is judge and jury. No matter what you want a passage to mean, deep down you know what it means, and that is how you will be judged.

No comments:

Post a Comment