Thursday, July 14, 2011

God is Great

“And so – Great are you, Lord God! There is none like you and there is no God but you, just as we have heard it told.”
-2 Samuel 7:22

I know in our prayers we are to do one of four things: 1) praise God because he is God, not because of what he has done, 2) thank him for what he has done, 3) ask forgiveness for our sins, and 4) petition him for all our other desires if they are in line with his will. The quote from David above is an example of praising God just because he is God, but it comes right after God told David his reign will live forever. It’s also a good time to praise God when we are suffering like Job. When I think to do so, I try to include all four things in my prayer. Praising God is the most straight-forward, so it is usually the shortest. Thanking God always seems longer than petitioning God because God has given me more than I knew to ask for in a wife and children. Asking for forgiveness sometimes takes a lot of thought in discerning whether something was sinful or not, being careful not to rationalize with myself, but doing this regularly makes my time in confession more efficient.

I am always looking to be more efficient. I like blogging, but have other priorities in the summer that make it difficult to do so as often as during the school year. I also set a July deadline on myself to finish editing my book, so I have spent most of my writing time on that first and blogging second. During the school year it was the other way around because the deadline was so far off. Either way, the deadline has been met and if you haven’t shared your opinion yet, I’d like to hear which title you think is the catchiest, so I can name the book accordingly:

Create your free online surveys with SurveyMonkey, the world's leading questionnaire tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment