Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Two down, five or more to go

My doctoral program has a completion checklist to make sure a candidate knows what needs to be done to earn the degree.

1. Pass the first 13 classes with at least a 3.00 (which I did three months ago).
2. Pass the Comprehensive Exam (and 96 pages later, I just did that).

3. Get approval for my Concept Paper (which is like a 35-page pre-proposal).
4. Get approval for my Proposal (which is another 80+ page document).
5. Get approval for my IRB App (to conduct the testing for my study).
6. Get approval for my Dissertation.
7. Pass the Oral Exam

The comprehensive exam was nerve-racking because you may not resubmit your essay like you could for class assignments. If you fail the first time, you have to pay to take it again (over $2000). If you fail the second time, you are dismissed from the program. I know two people who have had to take it again, so it is not an empty threat. The other steps are less nerve-racking.

The other steps need approval from your committee first and then the University. You often go back and forth with your committee until they feel it will pass University requirements. Even though you only get 2-3 chances with the University before you may be dismissed, if you follow your committee's advice, you shouldn't get to that point. Nevertheless, there doesn't appear to be a lull in my studies any time soon.

Last year at this time, there was a lull in my studies where I finished the manuscript of my book on faith. Although that manuscipt is not scheduled to be published yet, I haven't given up on it. I also want to make it as good as it can be. I understand publishers are more willing to take a chance on a first book, than on a second-book of a writer whose first book was a flop. So assuming my disseration takes another year, although I have up to three years before I would face dismissal, that manuscript will be my focus again.

I have a plan, but since my original plans have changed, there's no reason to talk about my current plans because they likely will change as well. It's important to have a plan that can be refined to take advantage of new opportunities or avoid potential disasters that may arise. Therefore, there's no point in boring people about the details of what you plan to do. It's better to just do it and show them afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment