Sunday, September 25, 2016

Signing

With my voice gone for the last few days, I've had some interesting interactions. The best by far was at Pizza Hut. I came in when an older lady was already at the counter, so I sat down on the bench to wait. She turned around a gave me a look. I didn't think much of it, but apparently she did. She came over to apologize for giving me the evil. I tried my best to say it was fine, but I had lost my voice. Once she knew I lost my voice, she told me how her cousin was born deaf and taught her some sign language when she was little if I wanted to learn some until I got my voice back. I politely nodded my head and she taught me the three most important swear words I should know in case I really wanted to swear at someone before I got my voice back! Normally, I would repeat back what I was being taught to make sure I got it right, but this time I just signed "thank-you" - a sign I knew already - when it was time to get my pizza and go.

No comments:

Post a Comment