Monday, April 23, 2012

Wrong Number

First of all, Pennsylvania's primary elections are tomorrow and my wife told me she has already gotten eight recorded political calls today. So when the phone rang and another number we didn't recognize came up on the called ID, we let our four-year-old Sarah answer. This wasn't a pre-recorded call and she told us it sounded like Pap-Pap. I got on and there was some guy on the other line saying "Hello? Hello?"

I said "Hello," but got nothing but more of the same back, so I hung up. Seconds later the phone rang again. It was the same number, of course.

I picked it up and the guy asked, "Who's this?"

So I asked, "Who's this?"

Then he asked me, "Why'd you hang up on me?"

I answered, "I'm going to do it again."

Seconds later the phone rang again. This time my wife let voice mail get it. He left a message. He was still mumbling, asking who this was and there was even a little kid babbling in the background. It guess he was a harmless drunk, but it was still sad that some kid somewhere was trying to her father's attention and he was aimlessly dialing random numbers.

It didn't give me any more faith in the average voter. I try to vote for the person that I think is best overall. I can appreciate how important voting is because of how many teachers in Pennsylvania lost their jobs when $860 million was cut last year and how many more may lost theirs next year when an additional $100 million is being cut this upcoming year by the new Governor, over 100 in Pittsburgh alone. Our union researched the candidates that are pro-education to help. They are mostly Democrats.

I can also appreciate how important it is to vote pro-life when President George W. Bush was able to ban partial-birth abortion. Our church researched candidates that are 100% pro-life to help. They are mostly Republicans.

It's frustrating that more people don't see education and pro-life values go hand-in-hand. Saving lives is more important than saving jobs. On the other hand, lives don't appear to be on the line. This Congress isn't going to reverse Roe v. Wade. However, jobs will come back if funding returns to previous levels.

Since tomorrow is the primaries and I'm only allowed to vote for Republicans, I'm going to vote for candidates not endorsed by our Republican governor where possible. That way there will be two people running that do not agree with the Governor. Hopefully that will mean changes no matter what happens in the November elections.

No comments:

Post a Comment