Saturday, March 12, 2011

Step-by-step

“Wash yourselves clean! Put away your misdeeds from before my eyes; cease doing evil; learn to do good. Make justice your aim: redress the wronged, hear the orphan's plea, defend the widow.”
-Isaiah 1:16-17

Although I don’t suppose anything here comes as a surprise to anyone, the sequence that they are presented in is important. First, stop sinning yourself. Second, start doing good works yourself. Third, help others. Of course, they all overlap, but it’s useful to break it down to get a better grasp of it and apply it to ourselves. Is there anything wrong that I am still doing? Are there any good works I have the opportunity to do and neglected to do so (which is also a sin, of omission)? Are there other people I can help (which may be the good works you are doing)? Nevertheless, you must remove the plank from your own eye before you are capable of helping others remove a speck from theirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment