Sunday, March 6, 2011

Work is a Gift

For, to me, "life" means Christ; hence dying is so much gain. On the other hand, if I am to go on living in the flesh, that means productive toil for me--and I do not know which to prefer. I am strongly attracted to both: I long to be freed from this life and to be with Christ, for that is the far better thing; yet it is more urgent that I remain alive for your sakes. This gives me confidence that I will stay with you.
-Philippians 1:21-25

There is so much truth wrapped in this short statement. The first is that work is a gift. How often have you heard of people retiring from their jobs to do nothing and passing away shortly there after? Perhaps there is something to the saying that you are too busy to die (if you are doing God’s work). Eventually, no matter how hard we work, we will be called home and it will be someone else’s turn to do the work that needs done. However, it is our job to give our best while we are out there until the coach calls us off the field. If we start slacking before he planned on pulling us, we might find ourselves pulled prematurely and that would not be far better. It’s far better when you can go to Christ knowing you have done your best. It’s not better to go to Christ knowing you did not love him enough to do try your best. Play each play like it’s your last. Live each day like it’s your last (before you are judged).

No comments:

Post a Comment