Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Far from worthless

"Do everything without grumbling or questioning, that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine like lights in the world, as you hold on to the word of life, so that my boast for the day of Christ may be that I did not run in vain or labor in vain."
-Phillipians 2:14-16

When working with students with special needs, you may feel that your work is in vain because you don't get the same results as you get with other students. With success being measured so often by test scores, you may not get the consolation you desire because you are looking for it in the wrong places. I don't remember what I got on my eighth grade standardized tests, although I remember they were never good enough to be considered "gifted." I do remember certain teachers because of the emotions associated with them, more so than any specific lesson or piece of information I may have gotten from them. They at least made me a better person, if not a smarter person. I hope that the people who come across my path and your path learn something about how to be a better person. That's worth more than test scores or anything else of this world. Goodness is divine because all good things come from God.

No comments:

Post a Comment