Monday, April 18, 2011

Vengeance

"But, you, O Lord of hosts, O just Judge, searcher of mind and heart, Let me witness the vengeance you take on them, for to you I have entrusted my cause, O Lord my God!"
-Jeremiah 11:19-20

This doesn't seem very Christian, but I guess that's because it's Old Testament. One thing that's important is that Jeremiah isn't trying to take revenge himself. He's still letting God judge, even though these people are just like those people who we have been talking about the past two days (the rude ones that drive us crazy). Nevertheless, he does want to be there when justice is served. I guess that's OK.

For example, when someone speeds by me or cuts me off in traffic I try to remind myself to say, "God bless them anyway." I picked that up driving around with a priest in high school. However, when I see that same car pulled over to the side later on down the road, I still get a sense of satisfaction from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment