Wednesday, April 20, 2011

My prediction

"The Lord GOD is my help, therefore I am not disgraced; I have set my face like flint, knowing that I shall not be put to shame."
-Isaiah 50:7

I have confidence that good will prevail. This is timely because my union proposed a retirement incentive that would save the district $1.19 million by eliminating 14 of the highest paid teachers, whereas the board would have to furlough 29 of the least experienced teachers to save as much. The proposal is good for the 14 because it pays an extra $26K over three years and good for the district because eliminating only 14 teachers instead of 29 helps to save the number of programs we offer the students. It was tabled by the board yesterday instead of approved, which made people think they were either intending to cut programs and all the teachers involved in those programs to save even more money or hoping legislation in Harrisburg allowing them to furlough the highest paid instead of the least experienced would help them save more money by reducing the quality of the programs. As a sign of my faith, I posted a prediction on my wall last Friday stating that the board will ultimately furlough nobody and rehire the two teachers allegedly furloughed illegally last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment