Friday, April 15, 2011

Poise

"When he was insulted, he returned no insult; when he suffered, he did not threaten; instead, he handed himself over to the one who judges justly."
-1 Peter 2:23

I don't even know if poise is the best word to describe what I'm thinking. I know it's the best word I can think of though. As a junior high teacher of students with various special needs, sometimes it seems like those needs are manners. So I hear a lot of insults. When the someone insulting you with words is obviously less adept at the English language than you, it would be difficult to not embarrass that person publicly if your objective was not to serve God in the best way possible.

God doesn't want you to be the judge because he can exact a more suitable punishment for those who reject his word than any embarrassment you could inflict and a more suitable reward for anyone who tries to follow his word than any satisfaction gained from besting someone of inferior skills. In some of the situations that I'm envisioning in my mind, God may not punish them because they may honestly be oblivious and not know what they are doing, despite my best efforts to teach them how to act properly in what I consider society. What I go through is a far cry from what Jesus went through in the Passion, so if he was able to pray for those people, I believe he will give me the strength to continue praying for my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment