Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Loving God

In these brief reflections, fair space is not always given to every thought, which may unintentionally overemphasize another. For example, faith produces good works and I made a point to include prayer as a work because some people don't see that as doing something. In another case, I mentioned how sins of commission (bad things you do that you shouldn't) and sins of ommission (good things you could've done that you didn't) are both sins. With both of these in mind, I think that not sinning could be considered the primary good work, especially with today's quote of "Loving God means keeping his commandments" from 1 John 5:3.

I love my wife and children, so I often want to do things for them (good works). However, there should be something said for the things I don't do too (keeping the commandments). Good works in our relationship with God and others is an expression of our love, but it should be understood that they go along with keeping the commandments first and not using good works to make up for not keeping the commandments. I didn't feel that proper emphasis was placed on not sinning first and then adding good works on top of that in my previous discussion based on comments people have shared with me, so I appreciate the feedback whether here, on Facebook, or privately. God bless all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment