Sunday, August 15, 2010

Part 2

Message to me:
I am sad to hear though, that you don't feel you have a closeness with Jesus. I believe that somehow, this is often lacking in the Catholic Church. I don't mean to stereotype, I know there are definitely Catholics who have a close personal relationship with Jesus, it's just that I've never met one. I think it's so easy to get wrapped up in the "religion" i.e. the churches rules and regulations and they're expectations of you (your works). When I truly became a Christian a started learning about what a relationship with Jesus was all about, I had never been taught that in the Catholic Church and felt that this is what they were missing out on. I love Jesus with all my heart and live each day for Him. I try to read about, talk about, and live like Him. When you ask Jesus to come into your heart and give you a heart for Him, I believe he will do that and the church of believers will help. It was so important for me to find a great charismatic church with people who just loved Jesus and State College had a few to choose from, actually! I will be praying that you find a closer, more intimate relationship with Jesus.

My response:
Thanks. I will always take all the prayers I can get. I am fortunate to have met a number of Catholics that have a close, personal relationship with Jesus. Many Franciscans express this kind of joy like Francis did, but my relationship is different. Mine is like one that is illustrated often in the Bible, especially the Psalms, where one feels like God isn't there, but knows that He is. Jesus began one of these Psalms while he was hanging on the cross. This just increases one's desire and enlarges one's capacity to accept God more fully when He will provide that joy of consolation. Mother Teresa's relationship with God was like this for most of the second half of her life. It's like being away from my wife and kids on a retreat. I know am loved across the distance that separates us, and it makes me all the more eager to be with them when I can, which will help me be a more attentive and better husband and father to all of them (and that number keeps increasing). So even though I may not have the joy of feeling His presence, I have the peace of knowing Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment