Saturday, August 21, 2010

OMG

From Revelation 15:3-4, this seemingly rhetorical question is asked, "Who would dare refuse you honor, or the glory of your name, O Lord?" Then it goes on to praise God for a number of good reasons. Admittedly, I am convinced, so I can understand why someone may ask a rhetorical question like this. On the other hand, I know so many people that reject God and other good-intentioned people that still slip up using the Lord's name in vain that the question is far from rhetorical today. Those that reject God don't care. Those that slip up consider it a little thing. Maybe it is if you feel sorry for it afterwards. Maybe it isn't if it's the start of nominalizing other rules that the rest of society doesn't follow. When I see OMG, for example, my first impression is of the kid saying, "Oh My God," because when I am around that kid, that's what they say. But I hope they mean, "Oh My Goodness," since writing takes more time than speaking and they can catch themselves beforehand. Hopefully, enough of those people that I surround myself with will begin to use, "Oh My Goodness," more frequently so that my instincts will begin to give them the benefit of the doubt in the future as well when I see "OMG".

No comments:

Post a Comment