Sunday, August 1, 2010

Sowing

It was during my time at Youngstown State University studying administration that was a turning point in my faith journey. We were discussing how you can judge a person's priorities by how they spend their time as well as how they spend their money. I was conscious of giving what I felt was the right amount of money to the Church and various charities back then, but I had never thought about how I spent my time or how that may have spoken to my priorities. I was spending all my time with work related things, whether it be actual work or school work related to actual work. It was at that point that I decided to spend more time serving God, who I had always said was the most important thing in my life, but perhaps wasn't acting like it.

Nevertheless, I felt it was only responsible to complete my master's program before making this change. I came across the Secular Franciscans during my search and realized that was what I was looking for and didn't know it. During that time, I also realized how I could have been serving God while at work and at school. So even though I was doing the right thing by going to school, I was doing it for the wrong motives. I believe it was Mother Teresa who said it isn't what you do, but with how much love you do it. That relates to today's quote from Paul to the Galatians (6:7b-8): A man will reap only what he sows. If he sows in the field of the flesh, he will reap a harvest of corruption; but if his seed-ground is the spirit, he will reap everlasting life.

No comments:

Post a Comment